Friday, March 5, 2010

Definition Lesson

"Where are you from?"

Now, I'm biracial, so when people ask me this question, they actually mean what race am I. I don't find it offensive, or even annoying. but I still have fun and always answer, "From here." Even though I know what they mean.

So, just a quick lesson in words so that my readers can be a little more educated, in case they are not:

Race: A person's biological descent & who their descendents were.
Ex: Halle Berry's race is black and white.
Ethnicity: A person's background & culture.
Ex: Wyclef Jean's ethnicity is Haitian.
Nationality: What country a person hails from.
Ex: Naomi Campbell is British.
So... if Jane is Japanese (both parents are Japanese) and she lives in the United Kingdom, her race would be Asian, ethnicity would be Japanese, and Nationality would be British.
See? Learning can be fun!
This makes the correct answer to ask me, "What is your race?"

2 comments:

  1. And a quick lesson for you. Racism is when someone thinks their race is higher than others or more exclusive. Such as, dedicating a word that can only be said by that one race. Prejudice is when you don't like someone because their race. Before you start giving vocab lessons learn how to speak English first. If you are going to speak slang then speak slang. Educate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the point of your comment, Jimmy?

    ReplyDelete